Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Trophy Husband

Looking good Kwak!

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your daughter 757. What happened to her if I may ask?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Beach Daddy

Mark- she had an abdominal wall closure and what amounts to a tummy tuck. When she had her liver transplant at 14 months the liver she received a whole liver that was as big as they could get in there (came from a 3 yr old). Because of the size and initial trauma to the liver when they tried to close her up they ended up using a mesh fascia to hold everything together. The goal of this surgery was to reconnect some of the tissue that was covered by the mesh. This will help increase her strength in that area. Also because of the original surgery and the mesh she had a pronounced bulge in her belly. As a 9 yr old girl she was becoming aware of it and being able to tighten that area was a plus. We were inpatient at UVA for a week and will keep her out of school until next Wednesday. She came home with 1 drain still in (to get fluid out of her belly and the mesh). It was a real struggle to decide to do the surgery because it wasn't one that had to be done but one that many transplant patients have, especially those were "left open" like she was.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Beach Daddy

So on another note- I am really struggling with my decision to coach football next year. As I have said before- I was a high school teacher and football coach in my "past life". Even though I left teaching 8 years ago I have coached 6 of the past years. I took 1 year off when the girls were babies and this past year off when I attempted to return to teaching full time. I talked with a coach at a school close to the house (who had tried to hire me last year) and decided to get back into coaching. We have been conditioning 3 days a week and are starting to ramp up for summer. From a family stand point we are in a different situation than we were 2 years ago. My wife has always been able to pitch in a little and help in the evenings. Not anymore with the new job and travel. Basically I spent 20 hours a week in the fall for what amounts to pennies. As the girls have gotten older their activity schedule has increased and I am the one responsible for all transportation.
I had always said that coaching was a way for me to maintain relationships to help find a job when it was time to go back. Well after my 6 week experiment this year I am not going back to work full time any time soon. Its a lot of time to spend for little money and to have the girls in after school until 5:30 most days.
Just feeling a little selfish and needed to vent- not many folks that understand. I was talking with my sister and she described it as "mom" guilt.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Trophy Husband

Sounds like good news for your daughter 757. Kinda coming back to me now about you talking about her early health issues years ago.

BTW I was at UVA last week as well. My son toured it last Wednesday. Nice Campus. My wife covered that hospital years ago when we lived outside of Richmond. We stayed at the Marriott on Main St. We could have met up at "The Corner" for a beer or two. Cheers!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah, I admit that I was ignorant to your daughter's surgery as well. I am sorry about that. I'm glad to hear she's still with you. Hopefully this last little hurdle will be the last you all ever have to worry about it.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Glad your daughter's surgery went well and I hope her recovery is a speedy one.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Sounds like good news for your daughter 757. Kinda coming back to me now about you talking about her early health issues years ago.

BTW I was at UVA last week as well. My son toured it last Wednesday. Nice Campus. My wife covered that hospital years ago when we lived outside of Richmond. We stayed at the Marriott on Main St. We could have met up at "The Corner" for a beer or two. Cheers!
Small world. I stayed there Monday, Tuesday and then Saturday night when my wife had overnight shift at the hospital. It is a pretty awesome campus with some really cool history.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
Small world. I stayed there Monday, Tuesday and then Saturday night when my wife had overnight shift at the hospital. It is a pretty awesome campus with some really cool history.
Yes. IIRC Thomas Jefferson designed the main building.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Yes he did. From Monticello he could oversee the construction.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Thomas Jefferson designed just about all of the original campus. He had his hand in everything including picking the original texts, books for the Library and even landscaping designs.