Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Super Duper Daddy

My mom is in to visit for the holiday and she brought some DVDs of film footage that she discovered in her recently-deceased aunt's possessions. They were 8mm and Super 8 films of family gatherings going back to the late 1960s and include footage of my mom's youth as well as some footage of me as a baby and toddler. It was nice to see long-departed relatives, some of whom I have no memory of. There was even a couple minutes of my dad. Unfortunately, this was all video stuff; those old movie cameras didn't have an audio capability.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Dad in Training

Kwak, that's great that she had access to those - they are great. To keep it for the future, they should be able to convert these to DVDs or a video on a flash drive. It would be a worthwhile keepsake for everyone. My uncle had many videos on 8mm and some have been converted to VHS, so we still need to get them converted to a medium where they can be viewed now and in the future. We have videos of my grandfather combining and swathing with horses, it's great to view them every now and again.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Career SAHD

Man, I want to try this...

Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Super Daddy

How would you hold your crutches?

Gawwwwwd, I'm such a wet blanket in my old age....but, Seriously, though, wouldn't it be a concussion fest? Because concussions are not caused by the impact itself, rather the brain slamming against the skill?

Those guys running full tilt at each other, then instantly bouncing backwards...yeeow.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Dad in Training

For whatever reason I don't have any success watching YouTube clips posted to this forum, but I did manage to go to YouTube and find this video. I think it would be riot to play soccer that way. Looks like a lot of bashing into people and knowing you won't get hurt. I'm sure there are some pretty awesome hits in a game like that.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Just Dad

I'm with Tomcat on the concussion angle. Gives me a headache just watching. Looks fun, though. Wrestling was fun too--minus the dislocations and concussions.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Daddy

I spose it does lend a whole new meaning to the term "bubble boy ".

I do miss tackling most guys in football: there is one or two that I sure don't miss. Like Angelo Buttazoni. Huge, ran with a high knee action forward lean. His knees pounded the fuck out of me until I finally got tangled up in his legs and hell fell over me for the first down. Every fuckin time, all game long.
Not to mention he was an 18 yr old senior and I was a 15 yr old junior.

On 2nd thought, gimme a bubble.

He was on his way to Purdue, but iirc signed with a smaller school at the last minute. Sheesh.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Very fortunate

Now thats my kind of soccer right there !
Looks like crazy fun ,,but yeah,,i'm sure head trauma would be a concern ,but still looks like fun
Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Italians sure are inventive people. What's next, bubble bocci?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesco Viduata View Post
Kwak, that's great that she had access to those - they are great. To keep it for the future, they should be able to convert these to DVDs or a video on a flash drive. It would be a worthwhile keepsake for everyone. My uncle had many videos on 8mm and some have been converted to VHS, so we still need to get them converted to a medium where they can be viewed now and in the future. We have videos of my grandfather combining and swathing with horses, it's great to view them every now and again.
I didn't get to it but she's going to have somebody burn her a copy for me. None of it was labeled and everything was out of order. There really wasn't much of my dad but there was a lot of my grandparents, mom and aunt and cousins when they were still kids. There were also a lot of my great aunt who just passed away which would explain why she was hoarding them. She and my late uncle (who shot all these films) were quite close.

Anyway, looking back at all this I see that my mom is about the same age as my grandparents were when they passed on. My mom and aunt Dolores are still in their mid-70s but their older sister is nearing 80 and not doing so well so who know how many years they have left? I spoke with my aunt D this weekend and she invited me to a family reunion in the Outer Banks in September. I'm making it a point to tell my wife that I will be going and expect to stay at least 3 days, plus 2 for travel.