Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai dad View Post
You've got a good voice Kwak. I used to be able to play this back when my fingers worked. I actually picked up my guitar for the first time in awhile the other night and it didn't feel completely foreign to me as it has other times doing this. sure my fingertips were on fire after a couple of minutes, but it actually felt pretty good.
Yeah, I know how you feel. I had my guitar locked in a closet for something like 5 years. I pulled it out in 2003 and had a really big burst of progress that year.

It sounds like you need new strings and have a pro look at it. Sounds like you either have dead strings or the tension has pulled the neck forward a little. New strings are pretty cheap and the biggest factor for a guitar's tone IMO. For the latter it could either be a small adjustment or a big job. It's an easy check PM me if you want details.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
That REALLY didn't sound how I thought you'd sound. IT almost sounded like you were singing it in "proper" speak. LOL. IF that makes sense. You sound good. Nice guitar work. Not a typical clone of him. Good stuff.
LOL - that's because I'm not a "yinzer." My accent isn't quite that bad, because I'm a transplant.

I play and sometimes sing in church and the music director is a voice coach. She didn't teach me proper breathing technique but she DID tell me to enunciate. Otherwise I chose to not do the Dave Matthews yodel, though it does sound like I have a cold which I don't.

As for the guitar work, I retuned the guitar so that I only had to shift a couple of fingers for the bass line. .
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Mogwai not for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Yeah, I know how you feel. I had my guitar locked in a closet for something like 5 years. I pulled it out in 2003 and had a really big burst of progress that year.

It sounds like you need new strings and have a pro look at it. Sounds like you either have dead strings or the tension has pulled the neck forward a little. New strings are pretty cheap and the biggest factor for a guitar's tone IMO. For the latter it could either be a small adjustment or a big job. It's an easy check PM me if you want details.
The strings definitely need replacing. They've been on there awhile.....can't remember the last time I've changed them. It's been a few years I am thinking.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Doing double time

So, I've listened to this song about 20 times already this week. It's damn good. He has a few others worthy of downloading, if you're interested, I can recommend more.

Also, been listening to a lot of Mumford and Sons lately. Two thumbs up.

[youtube]
Old 05-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

My new favorite band, The Avett Brothers

Old 05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Just glad to be here

Been a big fan of Avett Brothers for a while -- one of my students wrote about them in an essay several years ago and I checked them out.

"Living with ignorance, blissful and sad."

Also re-listening to SK lately...

Old 05-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Yeah, my wife has really dug them for awhile now, I never bothered to listen though.

Good band.

the Amazon MP3 store is one of the greatest things on earth

On another note, was watching TV the other day and saw a suburu commercial that used "If I Should Fall From Grace with God". Kind of depressing actually although it's good to see Shane getting some coin for his work.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Country Dad View Post
Also re-listening to SK lately...
I got to see them in town at their fifth-to-last last show. I wasn't going to attend (young kids and all), but then they announced that they were splitting up almost immediately, so went. Awesome show, even better that two of their last three songs were my faves -- Let's Call It Love and Turn It On.

Oh, I also saw them a few years before. I went to buy a t-shirt from Carrie during the opening act, who she was trying to watch and was pissed that I was drawing her attention away from this young act who barely had the money to drive to Cincy since their first CD hadn't yet come out. Turns out it was The White Stripes!

Good memories.....
Old 05-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviomossa View Post

Oh, I also saw them a few years before. I went to buy a t-shirt from Carrie during the opening act, who she was trying to watch and was pissed that I was drawing her attention away from this young act who barely had the money to drive to Cincy since their first CD hadn't yet come out. Turns out it was The White Stripes!

Good memories.....
HaHa! Great story Silvio, one to remember!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Just glad to be here

Took the wife to see James Taylor tonight (Merry Christmas, sweetheart!). Never one of my all-time favorites, but I respect the guy for his humility and longevity, and he put on a very good show.