Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Daddy! Daddy? Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to Math Daddy Send a message via Yahoo to Math Daddy
Default Any suggestions for a good BBQ smoker?

We're looking to add a smoker to our charcoal grill. Any recommendations for a nice, basic smoker?

"People always say things like that. 'I designed this weapon to hurt even YOU.' And they always miss the point. The design focuses on the wrong goal. Yes, I can be hurt. It's actually not that difficult. So the hard part isn't hurting me. The hard part is surviving me." --Superman, "Superman #702"
Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 PM
"Not Willsdad"

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_L.html

Here you go. It's the World's Best Smoker and Grill. I'm a bit partial though. :>

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Dowdy Kitchen Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_L.html

Here you go. It's the World's Best Smoker and Grill. I'm a bit partial though. :>
If that's "basic" in Hockeyfanworld, I'd hate to see "fancy."

$500 less gets you a Weber Smoky Mountain cooker, aka "The Bullet".

If you want really no-frills, try this.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post

If you want really no-frills, try this.
I got this one for father's day last year and love it. I can't tell anyone from I grew up with in Kansas City that I use gas instead of wood, but I smoke better meat more often.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 PM
It's beer:30!

We need more info - Gas? Wood/briquette burning?

There are two basic styles:

vertical (or bullet) style which generally more user friendly in that they dont burn up massive amounts of fuel and dont take much tending to. The down side is that they generally dont have as much capacity as horizontal/offset/barrel smokers. IMO the other downside is it's gas and not a 'real fire' :O

horizontal/offset/barrel smokers are a little more hardcore (imo) in that you can throw whole logs in the firebox (or you can use charcoal briquettes and wood chunks). The capacity is generally bigger. The downside is they burn a lot of fuel and require a lot of tweaking the fire thru-out the session. Some people, myself included, prefer that aspect of tinkering with the fire.

I guess you could call the one Stretch listed as a third style with the door and all. I dont have any experience with those.

When the question of 'which smoker to get' comes up on the bbq forums we tell people it's all about which personality they are. Are you a 'set it and forget it'? Get the vertical or gas. Are you a "tweaker"? Get the horizontal.

Stretch mentioned the Weber Smokey Mountain, a hugely popular vertical. I'll probably get one some day. They sell for $250 not $500! But right now I own the Chargriller Smokin' Pro which I like and the price was right ($150 at Menards).

Oh I also like the horizontal because you can essentially do all three styles of cooking; direct grilling, indirect grilling, and smoking. (You do the direct and indirect grilling with the coals in the main chamber, and the smoking with the coals in the side fire box). Hockeyfag will probably say you can do all that in his yuppy cooker but that's BS.

Last edited by Cubfan; 06-30-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Hockeyfag...that's nice. Sounds like griller envy. Yes you can do all three of those with the EGG. And dam good I add. I can slow cook the crap out of something for hours on end without looking at the grill. Holds it's temp spot-on. I can smoke with the best of them and grill steaks at 600 or more like a champ. Hell I can put Cubfans "Grill Junior" inside my EGG and I betcha it'll come out moist as hell and taste great! If you like to tinker, go with CFs type, but if you like to sit back and , then perhaps step up to the plate. It's like Ken Griffey Junior up against Matt Murton. Just not in the same league. Hee hee hee.

I have friends that have had those door types. The (insert name here) ones or whatever it's called and the results are great for smoking. They use salt water in them and I've tasted good fish and jerky that type. Can't say they suck, but they are limited. Just depends what you want. One of my friends has the one Cumfan has and it does a good job. He loves it. He uses charcoal briquettes (GAG), but the food is good. Good price and good results.

Obviously the Egg is a bit much for a casual grill. You'll be dropping a grand for fun, especially after purchasing addition eggcessories. I grilled pizza on Saturday and did a trout, wild Alaskan salmon and some scallops today. Mmm mmm good. Get some of that CUBFAN!!!

BTW- You can get into a Big Green Egg (BGE) for much cheaper by buying the smaller versions. I've seen them online for less than 3 bills. They are the hibachi types, but you can get a small size BGE for less than 5 bills.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Super Duper Daddy

If you are going to get one don't mess around.

http://www.outdoorovencompany.com/smoker%20grill.jpg

The newest sci-fi site in town www.colessfa.com
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Daddy! Daddy? Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to Math Daddy Send a message via Yahoo to Math Daddy

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really care whether it's gas or wood/charcoal burning. I would lean towards wood/charcoal, simply because dealing with gas-burning things terrifies me. (All I can picture is a giant mushroom cloud!)

"People always say things like that. 'I designed this weapon to hurt even YOU.' And they always miss the point. The design focuses on the wrong goal. Yes, I can be hurt. It's actually not that difficult. So the hard part isn't hurting me. The hard part is surviving me." --Superman, "Superman #702"
Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
"Not Willsdad"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ol...en+Egg&x=0&y=0

Here are a few. Some are less expensive, but smaller.

This link gives one persons top-10. Looks like some lower cost grills in there that may suit you. I can't get behind it as it ranks the EGG 2nd. BS!!!

http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgril...atp062604a.htm

I would find what you like and look for it on Amazon or something. Don't forget to PM Don-Dad for a link that will get you an additional 5 percent off (or more). He may have it for one of the sites you want to buy from. Like Amazon. Good luck. I'm pushing the EGG, but I'm partial. For your needs one of those $50-150 versions would be sweet like the ones in that list. I think Cubfans is in that 150 range or a touch more. You'll love it! Enjoy the grill and good smoking. DON'T BUY GAS. That's for certain. Use lump charcoal too if you can. No need to eat carcinogens if you can help it. Especially fire starter fluid! Yuck.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Dowdy Kitchen Man

Stop it man. You're making me want one of those yuppie ceramic dildo-grills. And I need that money for hair plugs!