Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Daddy Deals
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

Default Price comparo: Wal-Mart vs. the world

We've been shopping for all of our groceries at Wal-Mart for a while now. We had some stuff on our list that our local store didn't have, so we went to Kroger. We had forgotten how much better the selection is in a real grocery store.

Here's the crux of the post:

Is it really any cheaper to shop for food at Wal-Mart than a grocery store. Our local options are Food Lion, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, and Publix. This is for food only. We know we save on other stuff like paper products, cleaning and bathroom items, pet food etc. at Wal-Mart. What's the real deal on food prices?

Thanks in advance!

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Certified Shit remover

There isn't a Wally-Mart near that sells groceries. I've prolly only gone into walmart twice in the past 3 yrs. But I would think that Krogers or Publix who have more grocery stores then walmart, would have more selection cheaper prices. Have you compared prices exactly what you buy ? With the rising gas prices saving a bit here or there helps. I think that Walmart is kills the little meaning the mom & grocery stores that were around up until 12-15 yrs ago.

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD
Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Walmart is cheaper than most of those. I don't have the PW near me here, but have been to Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, and Kroger numerous times. I don't like buying meat from Walmart, but most everything else is fine. Usually cheaper. If the other stores have sales they can be better priced, but Walmart has great prices all the time. Starbucks coffee used to be 6.60 at WM, but it is now around 7.80 or so. Still cheaper than the 9.99 at the grocery stores.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Father of Super Heroes

Walmart is a lot cheaper. I like how they package their ground meats.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Look at it another way, the better the quality of food you ingest, the less you need to eat, and once your brain/gut get used to that, you'll be better off in many ways.

You won't be able to do this at a price point store, like walmart. Shop at your local farm stand or farmers market, ask them where/how/who/when, regarding the food. When produce is picked at peak, you get the true level of nutrition, not just the color.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yes, it is cheaper to shop at Wal Mart, The only real quality issue I have with them is their produce. Too often it looks like rejects from other food marts, at least ours does. For this reason I procure my fresh fruits and veggies from other stores and sources.

The newest sci-fi site in town www.colessfa.com
Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Yes, it is cheaper to shop at Wal Mart, The only real quality issue I have with them is their produce. Too often it looks like rejects from other food marts, at least ours does. For this reason I procure my fresh fruits and veggies from other stores and sources.
Yeah the produce isn't quite as fresh. Grapes always look like they are a few days from being garbage, whereas the other stores they still look nice and green (green grapes I'm speaking of). Even the things like peppers always look wilty and old. Yuck. Canned food and other packaged foods you can't go wrong. If you like Lipton Diet Green Tea (great product) it is much cheaper at WAllyworld than other grocery stores. I was shocked.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
It's beer:30!

Interesting timing on this thread. We recently got a SuperWalmart and I just said the other night I dont like getting groceries there. My wives likes to go there for everything but I do not.

I spread it out too. The main groceries at Woodmans, produce at Cermak (a new ethnic grocery), and odds and ends at the nearbye Walmart.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Always Irritated

IT IS NOT CHEAPER TO SHOP AT WAL-MART!!! I shop at kroger, and when I go into Wal-mart I'm always amazed at how high their prices are, and yet people say they are cheaper, I don't get it. And Kroger has better weekly sales to boot.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

all the walmarts i have been in always looked like taz went through it, things everywhere, dirty, cluttered etc. they just closed down the local walmart to make into a superwalmart by spring 2009, so we shall see.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson