Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Default My gravy sucks

When I was a kid my dad made the best damn gravy for biscuits. It should be in my blood but I suck at gravy. I have to use a mix and just add water. It's embarassing I tell ya.
So...who's got an idiot-proof way to make gravy?
Old 07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Nice Dad

Practice, practice, practice. Take your time and do not let it burn.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:52 PM
"Not Willsdad"

I just take the drippings add S&P to taste and use about a spoolful of flour and a smaller spoonful of corn starch. Some people use all of one or the other. Just don't make it too starchy. Yuck. Add the flour and starch to a half a cup of cold water or so and mix. Then add this to the drippings over med-high heat until the mixture boils. Occasionally I add an oxo cube for extra flavour if my drippings need it, but that is about it. My gravy usually tastes spot on. Good luck. If you do exactly this, then I don't know what to tell ya! Mmm biscuit gravy. Cracker barrel. Look online. Heck I will. Hold on.

Third post looked good. Not CB though.

That may be close or exact.

My recipe's were for turkey, chicken or roasts.
Big Dog (8), Little Dog (6) and baby Princess (4). 3 is enough!

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Thanks hockey, I haven't tried to mix in cold water. I either get clumps of cornstarch/flour or it won't thicken up at all, and I hate runny gravy.
It's funny, in college I worked at cracker barrel and I made the best biscuits. I never wrote down that recipe, or the the recipe from Mancino's where I baked the awesome bread they used.

Last edited by wolfmanyoda; 07-25-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
It's beer:30!

yeah you gotta mix cornstarch in cold water to dissolve. It's counter-intuitive. Usually warm(er) water dissolves things.

If you're using corn starch to thicken, in a separate bowl mix equal parts corn starch with cold water (I usually start with a tablespoon of each). Then add to whatever it is you're making. Any other way and you're gonna get lumps.

note - after adding the corn starch and water mix, stir it in and give it a few minutes to thicken it up. I've been impatient with it thickening and added more corn starch, and it REALLY got thick, and doughy tasting.
Catcher aquired 05/25/03
1st Baseman acquired 08/29/05
2nd Baseman acquired 11/05/07
Old 07-25-2008, 04:43 PM
What? Why? Why? What?

Here is what I do....

After the Turkey is done, drain off all the liquid....

Take some wine, and pour it into your roasting pan, take a bunch of Rosemary, Thyme and Sage, along with a few crushed cloves of Garlic, into the pan

Scrap all the bits of stuff on the bottom of the pan, now its time to make a roux....

Here is what I found for the ratio:

To make a roux gravy, the basic formula is 2 tablespoons fat, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1 cup of liquid to equal 1 cup of gravy.
Once the flour is incorporated into the fat, its time to add your liquid back.
Now slowly add your liquid(use your pan drippings plus some stock or broth...)

Bring this back to a boil, and cook for 20-30 minutes to cook the flour and you won't have a starchy sauce....

Strain this mixture so its smooth, and there you go....Sorry, I don't have a real recipe, I just use my gut.....
You get what you get and you don't get upset!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM

My Grand fathers recipe for Biscuits and Gravy.
Get 1 pound of sausage(I use Jimmy Deans) Fry up in a pan and smash as you fry so it looks like ground beef.
As that is cooking, get a couple of cups of self rising flower. Mix about a 1/4 cup of veggie oil with the flower until the flower is in clumps. Then mix butter milk with the flower. I would say about a half of cup(not sure because I just eye everything) Mix all that up until it seems doughy. Then get a cutting board and spread about a handfull of self rising flower on it and place the dough on that. Check the sausage. If the sausage it done and about a large table spoon full of flower and mix until the all the oil is absorbed by the flower. Then add milk(about 2 cups) and mix. Turn on oven to 400. While you wait for it to thicken, flaten out the dough until it is about 3/4" thick. Get a cookie cutter and start cutting out biscuits and lay them out on a non stick cookie sheet. check gravy and stir. once your oven is up to temp, put uncooked biscuits in oven for about 14 minutes. After the 14 check to see if there is a slight browness on top of the biscuits. While you are waiting for the buscuits keep stirring the gravy. If it not thicking then take about a 1/2 cup out and add about anout table spoon of flower to the half cub and mix well. Then put the mix back in the gravy and mix. It may take a few time to get it right, but once you do, YUM, YUM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Dad in Training

I do a combination of what has already been suggested.

Scrape the bottom of the roaster to get all the meat that has stuck to the bottom. Boil the water that is in roaster, add salt and pepper. In a container I mix flour and milk. The milk will make it a little sweeter than what water does. I usually put flour and milk in a margarine container and shake the hell out of it - make sure the lid is on tight. LOL!!!! Tupperware does have an actual container for this, but we don't own one. Once the water in the roaster is boiling, I slowly add the mixture of flour and milk (a little at a time), and constantly stir the gravy with a whisk. I keep doing this, adding a little mixture at a time, make sure it's mixed well, then add more mixture, etc. It seems to take a while - maybe 10 - 15 minutes; as I do turn the temperature down so it doesn't burn, but keep it at a low boil until I'm done with the mixture.

After it's thick enough then I strain it (as I leave everything in the roaster that was in there when I took the meat out, e.g. onion, bay leaves, whatever).
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

I watch football while someone else does it.
I am constantly asking myself "What Would Hockeyfan Do?"
Well, now I know:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)