Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2021, 11:05 AM
Just Dad

Manga ears. Nice. I guess, depending on your countenance, I saw it as troll face. I caught myself early on in a mirror with one of the one-size-fits-all masks and thought that I looked like one of the seven dwarfs.
Just call me Dorko.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:30 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Typically I'll wear a gator and sometimes wear a mask under it. I like the KN95s because they don't fog up my glasses as much.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-21-2021, 11:07 AM
Just Dad

I guess the school system has some extra covid money. For the first time since we have been there, they are offering summer services for special needs kids. Every year before this, we would have an IEP meeting for everyone at the school to "rubber stamp" that my son did not need services during the summer. Essentially, the county didn't have or want to spend the money.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
I guess the school system has some extra covid money. For the first time since we have been there, they are offering summer services for special needs kids. Every year before this, we would have an IEP meeting for everyone at the school to "rubber stamp" that my son did not need services during the summer. Essentially, the county didn't have or want to spend the money.
Yeah, COVID wasn't all bad - up until it was terrible for us. Summers were always a headache trying to get some sort of structure established because structure is his bedrock.

I get you on the "rubber stamp" thing with schools. Kicking the can down the road has been SOP until they feel something is wrong.

Even though our son was discharged from public schools in kindergarten we still have to deal with our "home school district" for oversight purposes and at least we know our tax dollars followed him to other schools. We pushed for ESY every year until it became the rubber stamp that they send the NOREP form to our house months in advance.

Summers were especially tough for us because we were told from an early age that he needed structure and it became his bedrock. Without it, he couldn't handle any idle time whatsoever without losing self control. We also applied for a $500 mini grant to pay for a 2 week special needs camp at the school. I even managed to get a partial grant for the fence in my back yard. We even had ABA therapy in the home but they could never increase our hours because of demand. As for respite, good luck with that. We could never find any.

Every year it would be the same thing: I'd buy a new inflatable kiddie pool and one of those mister nozzles for the house or set up the sprinkler and let the kids just frolic outside. The monthly water bill would skyrocket but it was worth it. When they got really bored I'd load them up in the van, hit a drive through, go to the huge county park/nature preserve and look for a deserted picnic area with a playground and have a picnic. Afterward we'd go to the pond and feed the ducks.

As for the money thing, our son qualified for an autism waiver that covered therapies, medical copays, diapers, even got us free admission to some local kid-centric venues. We unapologetically made full use of all it. Most states should have something like that available. It really helps in the summer.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007